What is Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF FLUID) and who needs it?
BEST DEF FLUID REVIEW 2021
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is a urea-based fluid specifically engineered for diesel engines as the reducing agent in Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) systems, which is a new vehicle technology platform for reducing NOx emissions through exhaust after treatment. DEF is a solution made up of purified water and 32.5 percent urea that is used as a carrying agent for the ammonia needed to reduce nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions from diesel engines into nitrogen, water, and carbon dioxide (CO2).
When coupled together using the exhaust fumes, then it transforms the poisonous nitrous oxide to ammonia and carbon dioxide that are two gases that are manageable. Greatest Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Reviews: Unless you have driven a significant diesel truck, then the expression DEF or an exhaust fluid will most likely be unknown.
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is a non-toxic, clean, and colorless energy controller liquid that is required for modern-day diesel motors. The liquid is pumped into the exhaust flow rather than the gas pipeline. Best-diesel-exhaust-fluid-(def)-testimonials Basically it smells such as a cleansing agent with a small odor of ammonia. Diesel technology along with the motors themselves has seen a significant increase in clean surgeries over the past several decades. This growth can be directly credited to the 2010 EPA regulations.
Several industries throughout the planet, have benefited from advanced diesel layouts and cleaner operations. This directive led to produces providing improved low-sulfur fuels and technical converters to curtail the poisonous nitric oxide exhaust gases. An important advancement in diesel technologies has been the accession of DEF.
TOP 4 Best Seller for DEF FLUID
|1||Blue Def DEF002-2PK Diesel Exhaust Fluid, 2.5 Gallon, 2 Pack||$43.56||Buy on Amazon|
|2||(Pack of 30) BlueDEF DEF002 Diesel Exhaust Fluid - 2.5 Gallon Jug||$609.00||Buy on Amazon|
|3||BlueDEF DEF330 Diesel Exhaust Fluid - 330 Gallon Tote||$1,225.00||Buy on Amazon|
|4||BlueDEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid Synthetic Urea Deionized Water 2.5 Gallon (5 Pack)||$113.97||Buy on Amazon|
|5||DEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid - 55 Gallon Drum||$298.66||Buy on Amazon|
Why do I need DEF?
Since the enactment of lowered NOx standards by the EPA on January 1, 2010, all of the leading heavy-duty diesel engine manufacturers have been installing the Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) systems on the vast majority of their engines. With this modification, routine addition of the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is required to keep the engine running. Cooper Petroleum Inc. has acknowledged the rising demand for DEF and partnered up with its leading manufacturer AirBlueFluids Inc (ABF) to fulfill your needs for this additive.
It’s over the past couple of years that diesel technologies have seen a significant shift — rugged layout and much better fuel proficiency. This type of directive, then, forced the producers to furnish specialized exhaust fluids therefore nobody needs to cough around that shameful and bloated unpleasant smoke if they would be supporting a truck (or essentially any diesel-run automobile ). Because that is what DEF was created to remove and it absolutely still does the work.
Additionally, here would be the finest Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) reviews in order to understand which product does exactly what and how it’ll be useful for your type of wants.
All of this listing can be found on Amazon so that you can conveniently purchase the exact identical directly from the comfort of your house. Within the following guide, we’re likely to break down the very ideal DEF liquid for various popular diesel engines available on the market. Let’s begin!
Top 4 BEST DEF FLUID Review updated 2021
#1 Best DEF Fluids
- ENGINEERED: For use in Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) systems on diesel engines
- EFFICIENCY: BlueDEF diesel exhaust fluid is key to helping improve fuel economy by up to five percent
- PROTECTION: Diesel exhaust fluid is non-toxic and safe to handle
- QUALITY: Stable, colorless and odorless, and also meets ISO Standards 22241 for purity and composition
- EFFORTLESS: Easily Inject the fluid into your exhaust stream with a specialized dosing module
The business boasts of complete bulk distribution centers. From drum to a comprehensive distribution system. BlueDEF is on everybody’s radar in regards to picking the ideal solution. Peak Commercial and Industrial Products started business in 1973 in the summit of a petrochemical deficit.
BlueDEF adheres to the ISO 22241 regular and can be API accredited. BlueDEF utilizes artificial urea using the smallest of impurities Together with deionized water
Popular manufacturer and producer of diesel exhaust liquid using a product supplied at a fantastic price.
- Successfully produces secure nitrogen gas and water vapor out of NOx in gas.
- This item meets all EPA regulations concerning Selective Catalytic reduction engines.
- Provides you with a fantastic price versus additional DEF choices.
- Ships using a tube so it is possible to add the item to the DEF container securely.
- Clients with distinct automobile types advocate BlueDEF.
- Container seals might be better.
- Jug may flow if a tube isn’t connected correctly, which means you can want a connection.
#2 Prestone HD 1001 Command DEF
- Formulated to work with all SCR-equipped diesel engines
- Safe, easy-to-handle, nontoxic solution of 67.5% water and 32.5% automotive grade urea
- Certified to meet all API & ISO 22241 requirements
- Compatible with AdBlue and other DEF products
- DEF is a consumable and essential fluid for maintaining SCR-equipped modern diesel engines
Prestone is identical to quality automotive goods.Their DEF adheres to all political regulations . Operators could expect to observe that the Prestone brand of goods at each truck stop and automotive store throughout the world. Prestone DEF can be used with modern SCR systems. Uses only the maximum quality materials to guarantee compatibility with federal emissions requirements.
- Worldwide brand .Works as advertised to maintain Selective Catalytic reduction petrol motors.
- Includes all the certificates necessary to get a product similar to this.
- Properly equipped container means that you don’t need to worry about leaks. Reputable brand.
- Could not be acceptable for most diesel engines and may trip a motor code.
- A bit more costly than another DEF products within this jar size.
#3 Best DEF Fluid for Duramax
You need to be understanding that there are various brands in the current market situation that promise to create the highest high-quality diesel exhaust fluid. The massive number of brands may further cause confusion. Let us take a peek at them.
Genuine GM Fluid 88862659 Diesel Exhaust Fluid
- The exact Original Equipment Manufacturer fluid that your vehicle came with; diesel exhaust fluid is a urea-based chemical reactant designed specifically for use in SCR systems to reduce NOx emissions
- It can also be used with competitive make vehicles using a SCR system
- DEF meets the stringent AUS 32, ISO 22241 standards for purity and concentration
- It is part of the SCR technology used on these vehicles to meet 2010 EPA emission regulations
- This product is required for the 2010 mid-year launched Chevrolet Express and GMC Savannah vans
The ACDelco DEF fulfills every strict principle for purity. DEF will have to get refilled about every 1000 miles of usage. The Duramax line advocates using just ACDelco DEF to their motors. This GM DEF is specially created for Duramax engines. It Will meet essential requirements for several General Motors diesel engines, however, it is a little more costly than a few other DEFs. ACDelco provides a whole line of electrical components and fluids.
- ACDelco has a long Record of OEM Role Fabricating for General Motors
- Compatible with almost any GM manufacturer
- Works with Selective Catalytic Reduction methods of General Motors vehicles such as heavy duty trucks and trucks. Reduce NOx emissions. Compatible with older versions dating back to 2010. Made by means of a brand that’s trusted by General Motors owners.
- Could be a little expensive if bought in 1 minute increments
- Costly, particularly considering you get one gallon to get the purchase cost.
#4 Best DEF Fluid for Ford PowerStroke
- Required for diesel vehicles equipped with a selective catalytic reduction (SCR) emissions after treatment system
- Reduces NOx emissions in diesel vehicles with an SCR catalyst
- AUS32 fluid meeting all the requirements and purity standards of ISO 22241 and DIN70071
- Nozzle specifically designed to fit the DEF filler opening of 2011MY and forward Ford diesel vehicles (as well as many competitive vehicles) and prevent over filling the DEF tank
- Use only dispensing systems that are compatible with DEF
Motorcraft is Currently a decade Extended partner of Ford Motor Company. Motorcraft includes an extensive line of automotive goods made by Ford in your mind. Motorcraft DEF is devised to operate for almost any Ford Diesel motor and several competitors.
Despite some excellent control issues, this DEF is a fantastic selection for both Ford owners.
- First OEM product
- Made specially for Ford diesel-powered automobiles. Meets all necessary criteria for handling NOx emissions in heavy duty gasoline engines. Nozzle was made to reduce spills and messes throughout program.
- Motorcraft DEF won’t create any automobile warranty problems.
- Packaging and seals could be better
What to Look for in DEF Fluids
Are all DEF Fluid Brands the Same?
Every DEF is not the same. Any fluid that claims to be DEF must comply with the ISO (International Organization for Standardization) quality standards. The first requirement is that DEF contains a minimum of 32.5% urea.
This is the highest freezing point. The SCR system is reliable because the impurities are well-defined and very low.
Definition: If the DEF is not compliant with the ISO standard, then the material cannot be considered DEF.
Counterfeit products claiming to be DEF flood markets. These unlicensed products could cause severe damage to the SCR system.
Consequences of using poor DEF
A DEF that is not in compliance with the ISO Standard can cause serious damage to a diesel engine as well as the SCR.
Diesel failures may occur in days, weeks, or even months. It is essential that the DEF urea be pharmaceutical quality. Excessive biuret and other impurities will be found in agriculture-grade urea.
DEF will not use deionized water. This can cause SCR failures. Non-deionized water contains iron, zinc, magnesium, iron, and other dangerous substances.
How to Use DEF
Diesel Exhaust Fluid is a safe, non-toxic, and non-corrosive fluid that can be used. Diesel exhaust fluid is the most hazardous fluid in a diesel truck.
DEF can be harmful to certain metals, such as aluminum and copper. ISO 22241 provides a list of storage containers that are recommended.
A spouted container transfers DEF to a truck tank. DEF can be purchased by consumers in quantities ranging from one gallon to hundreds of gallons. Bulk and liquid versions are also available.
An experienced operator will choose a larger capacity tank over carrying smaller quantities. You should immediately clean up any spillages with a towel. The DEF will crystalize if it dries and can still be wiped off.
A dedicated diesel exhaust fluid tank is mounted on the vehicle. The fluid is then sprayed into the exhaust using a metering device.
The injection flow is equal to 2% to 6% of the diesel consumption. You will have longer refill times because the meter is more accurate.
Extra steps are required for operators who live in cold climates.DEF has an ice point12.degreeF for Selective Catalytic ReductionSCRFor the system to work correctly, it is necessary that a portion of the DEF be thawed prior to any operation.
EPA regulations stipulate that the engine must have full DEF flow within seventy minutes of starting up. Operators will install special tank heaters to regulate the DEF temperature in order to comply with statutes.
Additional information can be found in the Guide for Diesel Exhaust Fluids (DEF).
Benefits of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF).
Although DEF fluid can be harmful to your vehicle, many people believe that it is an effective way to protect the environment from harmful emissions. Let’s take a look at some of DEF’s benefits.
- It is not toxic. It is far safer than other fluids such as brake oil or diesel fuel. Many DEF fuel brands make use of biodegradable substances, which are naturally occurring substances.
- Our friends up North don’t have to worry because it won’t freeze
- It won’t evaporate easily
- Higher power and fuel efficiency
- You will see a better performance from your DPF, which means that you’ll have fewer regenerations
- Conformance with the proper regulations – EPA and ISO certified
- This will reduce maintenance and wear on the engine.
This fluid is being imported to reduce emission gases because these harmful substances (NOx, for example) are the main cause of acid rain and rising greenhouse gasses. This leads to worsening global warming and smog.
The Key Takeaways
Make sure you choose the right DEF fluid when choosing the right DEF fluid to use with your diesel engine. Choosing the wrong fluid could cause engine damage that can be costly.
What DEF brands are different
It can be difficult to choose the right DEF for your vehicle. Diesel exhaust fluid must contain a minimum of 32.5% urea. So how can brands differ?
- ImpuritiesDEF must not contain more than 5% of impurities to meet EPA standards. If the DEF is made from low-quality deionized waters, these impurities could be introduced to the system. The SCR system could fail prematurely if there are too many impurities. The price of a cheaper DEF may be lower than the EPA’s requirements. However, a higher-quality DEF might contain fewer impurities.
- UreaA DEF approved brand must use pharmaceutical-grade rather than agricultural-grade Urea. This is because it might contain impurities such as biuret at higher levels than higher quality urea.
- EPA standardsDiesel exhaust fluid must be certified by the EPA, and especially ISO 22241 to qualify. Do not buy a product that claims it is diesel exhaust fluid if it does not meet ISO 22241 standards. This fluid could cause damage to your vehicle’s SCR.
- Manufacturer recommendation:Check your vehicle’s owner’s manual before you start looking for the right brand of DEF. You might be recommened a brand by your vehicle owner’s manual. To protect your SCR system, if you do not have a manufacturer recommendation for a product, make sure it meets ISO 22241 standards.
DEF: Properties & Handling Guidelines
Q. What is Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)?
A. DEF is the reactant necessary for the functionality of the SCR system. It is a carefully blended aqueous urea solution of 32.5% high purity urea and 67.5% deionized water.
Q. What is urea?
A. Urea is a compound of nitrogen that turns to ammonia when heated. It is used in a variety of industries, including as a fertilizer in agriculture.
Q. How will I know that the DEF product I purchase will work?
A. The DEF you purchase should state and display the certification of the American Petroleum Institute
(API), German Institute of Standardization DIN70700, the International Organization for Standardization
ISO 22241-1, and meet AUS – 32 specifications. This will ensure the proper purity and concentration
(32.5%) of urea. For more information on these specifications, visit www.iso.org.
Q. Can I make DEF myself?
A. Cummins Filtration does not recommend customers make DEF themselves. DEF has strict
requirements for maintaining the concentration and purity of ingredients that are critical to the proper functioning and longevity of the SCR system. Cummins and other OEMs require that DEF used with their SCR systems meet all ISO22241 specifications as well as API certification requirements. It is recommended that end-users purchase certified DEF and avoid blending it themselves. For more information about the quality standards, refer to ISO22241 which details specifications for DEF quality,
handling, testing, transportation storage, and refilling.
Q. What is API Certification?
A. API Certification is a voluntary program established by the American Petroleum Institute (API) which certifies and monitors that diesel exhaust fluid meets ISO specifications. The program was launched in March 2009. Cummins Filtration DEF currently meets ISO specifications and is also API certified.
Q. What is the freeze point of DEF?
A. A 32.5% solution of DEF will begin to crystallize and freeze at 12 deg F (-11 deg C). At 32.5%, both the urea and water will freeze at the same rate, ensuring that as it thaws, the fluid does not become diluted, or over concentrated. The freezing and unthawing of DEF will not cause degradation of the product.
Q. Does DEF expand when frozen?
A. Yes, DEF expands by approximately 7% when frozen. DEF packaging and tanks are designed to allow for expansion.
Q. How much does DEF weigh?
A. DEF weighs approximately 9 pounds per gallon.
Q. How do I keep the DEF from freezing? What happens if the DEF freezes
in the tank on the vehicle?
A. During vehicle operation, SCR systems are designed to provide heating for the DEF tank and supply lines. If DEF freezes when the vehicle is shut down, the start-up and normal operation of the vehicle will not be inhibited. The SCR heating system is designed to quickly return the DEF to liquid form and the operation of the vehicle will not be impacted. The freezing and unthawing of DEF will not cause degradation of the product.
Q. Can an anti-gelling or freeze point improver be added to the DEF to prevent it from freezing?
A. No. While an additive could improve the freezing point of the mixture, the 32.5% solution is very specific to providing NOx reducing properties. Any further blending or adjusting of the DEF mixture will impede its ability to perform correctly and may cause damage to the SCR components. Additives of any type are not approved for use in DEF today. If the ISO standards should change to allow antifreeze additives, Cummins Filtration will ensure our product continues to meet ISO requirements.
Q. Are there special storage requirements for DEF?
A. DEF should be stored in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area, out of direct sunlight. While the optimum storage temperature is up to 77 deg F (25 deg C), temporary exposure to higher temperatures has little to no impact on the quality of DEF.
Q. What is the shelf life of DEF?
A. The shelf life of DEF is a function of ambient storage temperature. DEF will degrade over time depending on temperature and exposure to sunlight. Expectations for shelf life as defined by ISO Spec 22241-3 are the minimum expectations for shelf life when stored at constant temperatures. If stored between 10 and 90 deg F, shelf life will easily be one year. If the maximum temperature does not exceed approximately 75 deg F for an extended period of time, the shelf life will be two years.